Ram Air Box Install

Posted by on 8/5/2014 to Project RareBird
Ram Air Box Install

10-23-03 UPDATE:  Cosmetic & Performance Enhancements

We have made a few cosmetic as well as performance improvements on our project Rare Bird since we finished the body and paint work.  We started by removing the charcoal pin striping that was on the car when we purchased it.  We also upgraded the rims to Chrome SLP ZR1 17x9.5in and Kumo 275-40-ZR17 tires.  We also installed one of our LED Sequencers and mounted quite a few of our 12volt LED's throughout the interior.

On the performance end, the engine of our Project Rare Bird has not been modified except that we added a stock air box and lid from an LS1 equipped WS6 Ram Air Trans Am to the 1995 LT1.  The install was a bit tricky and did require us to modify the bottom of the air box so it would mount on the LT1's radiator support.  Once we got the air box to sit in it's desired location, it was just a matter of using the stock outer two mounting points and then drilling and taping holes for the inner two mounting bolts.  Once the air box was mounted, we then tried to figure out how to get the stock LS1 air box to mate with the LT1 throttle body.  We accomplished this by cutting the stock LT1 rubber elbow just before the bend.  Then we cleaned it up to fit perfectly on the ovular LT1 throttle body and attached the other end to the LT1's mass air flow sensor. 

We were then faced with another dilemma.  Using the stock air silencer would allow us to mate the air lid to the mass air flow sensor, however when we installed it we found that the air silencer hit the alternator pulley.  This forced us to fabricate a custom piece that would accept a ovular port on one end to mate to the air lid, as well as a round end on the other side to mate to the mass air flow sensor.  We would also need provisions for the air intake temperature sensor, and the air tube for the opti-spark.  We finally decided that the easiest solution was to modify the stock LS1 air silencer.  This would cut out some of the fabrication work as the air intake temperature sensor was already mounted in it.  We just cut off the two ends of the silencer; then using a homemade plastic welder (hot air torch, and a Exacto knife) welded the two open ends.  Then we drilled a hole for the opti-spark's air tube (view third  picture below).  We also had to lengthen the air intake temperature sensor harness so that it could reach the new location of the air temperature sensor.  We also needed to lengthen the mass air flow sensor harness but luckily all we had to do was cut loose some of the wires from the wire bundle which gave us the extra length we needed.  We finished the install with a new K&N air filter to have completely functional ram air system.  The install looks almost stock and you can really feel the difference in performance with the SLP Raptor Ram Air hood now functional. 

Add Comment